Monday, August 30, 2010

Down and Out and Seriously Blessed

My darling husband, foot elevated and on ice

It's been a tough couple of weeks for us here at the Speakman House. It started with pains so bad that I really thought I might be going into labor. Not good, since the baby isn't due for a few more months (13 weeks, but whose counting?).

A quick trip to the hospital assured us that no, I was not in labor, but suffering instead from kidney infection and kidney stones. And let me just say that 'kidney stones' sounds really gross and for some reason it is embarrassing to admit that I had them. I don't know why, but to me it sounds like something that only really old and really grumpy people would get. Do you know what I am saying? Yes? OK good.

Only it's really not good because guess what? The gross kidney stones aren't the only thing. Now the nerves in my back are kinking up and when it happens I become so completely taken over by the pain that all I can do is curl up in a ball on the floor and cry until it goes away. These little 'episodes' have been happening about every 3 days, and last about 12 hours at a time. Nothing helps. Not stretches or massages, hot packs or cold packs, laying flat or curling up. Nothing. My doctor says he expects it will stay this way until I have the baby and all I can do in the mean time is lay flat on my back as much as possible to keep it from getting any worse. That sucks.

Last Friday, right in the middle of me having one of these really awful "back attacks", Nathan hurt his foot, and he hurt it bad. I know this because he is a manly kind of man, and doesn't complain about any sort of physical ailment unless it is something severe. His ankle is the size of a softball. It's black and blue and even a pretty shade of deep purple. So he's been hobbling around here on crutches with a brace on his foot and laying down flat to elevate and ice his ankle whenever he gets the chance. I guess he was getting tired of me getting all of the attention around here lately...

SO Since I've had an awful lot to complain about these past couple of weeks, and trust me, complain I have, I thought maybe I should stop feeling sorry for myself just long enough to count my blessings instead and you know what I realized? I have a lot to be grateful for. Like;
Parents who live across the street and come into my home every day to do the things that I am currently physically unable to do. Cooking, cleaning, taking care of my baby, they do it all so that I can lay flat and get well.
A grandma who comes over to lift my baby in and out of his bed since I can't, and who stocks my refrigerator with food for my family, and who takes me over to her house just about every day so I can lay in her pool which helps loosen up my back.
A new neighbor who just happens to specialize in cranial-sacral physical therapy and can squeeze me in just about any time I need her. My visits with her help to ease the pain when nothing else, no doctor or hospital or medication, does.
A husband, a dad, and a grandpa who are all worthy priesthood holders, and who have all been able to give me priesthood blessings at a moments notice.
An adorable baby boy who can always make me smile no matter how bad of a day I think I am having.
And most of all a husband who loves me, and who shows it by the way he constantly cares for me.

Thinking about these blessings makes me feel like maybe things aren't so bad after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment